Manager of Desktop Engineering will have proven experience in managing all aspects of imagining and application deployment to Firm’s end user devices i.e. desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile phones. This includes configurations, customizations, implementation, testing, changes and operational support of the operating system and all deployed desktop and mobile applications. He/she will serve as a key advisor with respect to product management, short and long term solutions planning, legal industry applications trends and vendor product roadmaps. He/she will identify project requirements and priorities, the analysis of needs and the identification of software that address business/operation technology problems and opportunities.
• Apply best practices, procedures and manage a team of Desktop Engineers consisting of full-time staff and supplemental contractors as needed.
• Manage day to day activities of image updates, software deployments, product analysis, quality assurance and troubleshooting and support. Coordinate with multiple teams and Firm departments to implement, maintain, support, and enhance end user device experience. Coordinate with Network team to ensure common user experience between end user devices and Citrix.
• Analyze requirements and identification of solutions that address technology problems and opportunities.
• Successfully manage multiple high-priority, complex technology projects. Determine project priorities to develop activity plans, time and resource estimates. Coordinate resources and activities for each phase of the project, ensuring that systems changes and enhancements are carried out properly and on a timely basis.
• Assess staffing needs and manage staff to effectively deliver technology services. Produce accurate resource utilization estimates, develop and manage the technical process.
• Participate in a collaborative design and solution delivery environment.
• Interface with high-demand low availability users.
• Manage external relationships with vendors and consultants. Act as the Firm’s representative with software vendors and maintain strong vendor relations. Understand vendor strategies and research and development opportunities.
• Advice and counsel on the end user device experience and needs of lawyers and staff. Work with all areas of technology management to support key initiatives, continuously improve customer services and produce and evaluate reporting to ensure optimal technical operations. Escalate high priority issues to senior leadership and effectively manage communications to keep them aware.
• Provide leadership and direction in analysis, testing and support of end user devices and develop team’s skills-set and provide external and internal training and mentoring to staff to ensure sufficient soft skills and technical expertise. Assess staff performance and motivate a team.
• Develop, document and implement life cycle process management for all desktop and mobile software and hardware to ensure regular refresh of aging software and equipment. Develop and maintain knowledge base in conjunction with Help Desk Manager and Desktop Support Manager.
• 7+ years of experience in end user device engineering.
• 2+ years of experience in management or team leadership.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related area.
• Strong professional and interpersonal skills including: exceptional customer service, creative problem solving, effective written and verbal communications, planned and organized coordination of cross functional teams., acute attention to detail and quality, driven with the ability to self-manage.
• Strong leadership skills in a global environment and ability to write clear and concise technical documentation. Strong analytical information management ability and the skill to concisely articulate the related facts in the context of a legal practice. Experience in mentoring analysts and support staff. A strong sense of urgency and the ability to manage others to respond to deadlines.
• Exceptional project planning and management skills. Has a thorough understanding of project management principles and experience managing complex projects; has a complete understanding of the software development life cycle, application test plans and associated quality assurance activities. Ability to multi task across project/initiatives and delivers according to time and cost commitments.
• Broad systems thinking: understands the connections and relationships across functions and entities for both internal and external constituencies; thinks appropriately into the future.
• Experience in packaging and deployment of software on Windows, Mac Computers and mobile devices. Experience in Microsoft Office, FileSite and Innova.
• Experience with MobileIron to manage mobile devices is highly desirable.
• Law Firm experience highly desirable.
• Must be flexible to all aspects of deliverables, periodic travel required.