Client is one of the largest branded media companies in the world. The company reaches more than 130 million people globally each month across multiple platforms, with influential brands like Time, People, Sports Illustrated, InStyle, Real Simple, Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, and Wallpaper.
Client’s Technology & Product Engineering organization, with operations in North America, Europe and India, is responsible for delivering world class technology solutions and services to each of our diverse businesses to help grow revenue and maximize profitability. Our objective is to recruit and grow the best staff in the industry and to challenge them with compelling and engaging projects.
Client is seeking talented and innovative engineers to join the Content as a Service (CaaS) engineering team in Seattle, WA. The team's charter is to rapidly prototype, launch, and move client to a single, centrally managed content platform. Engineering focus areas include media ingestion, storage, analytics, transformation, distribution, and discovery. The team oversees a service ecosystem that is critical to client's content business. Client manages petabytes of data and staff use CaaS to manage structured data and media assets used during content production. Our customers include the editorial teams behind SI.com, Time.com, and People.com.
As a member of the team, the right candidate will be responsible for growing and optimizing the engineering environment, processes, tools, analytics frameworks, experimentation and operational monitoring functions. In addition the engineer will use their experience to influence the design and ideation process to deliver innovative functionality. As a member of the staff you will influence and contribute to a global development team, sharing best practices and knowledge around the world, leading design and architecture reviews and mentoring more junior developers.
The Senior Software Development Engineer will work closely with engineers developing editorial tools, web, and mobile experiences to provide Content as a Service that is horizontally scalable, highly available, and drastically reduces client's costs for content ingestion, management, discoverability, and distribution.
A qualified candidate will have extensive experience developing and owning production services and applications deployed in AWS leveraging Java, Dropwizard, and NoSQL data stores. They are passionate about code quality and lead by example to produce high quality, complex services and applications under tight timelines. The candidate is a leader with demonstrated ability to mentor technical team members.
• Play a lead role in the design and development of client services that will be used to store entities (photos, videos, articles, metadata, etc.)
• Play a lead role in the development of APIs that allow new editorial tools to be quickly created and rapidly iterated
• Play a lead role in the development of APIs that allow new content sources to be ingested, processed, and distributed to customers
• Collaborate closely with other engineers, designers, and editorial staff to define innovative ways to improve efficiencies and reduce costs
• Own production services, investigate and resolve issues, bottlenecks, and inefficiencies
• Work with other teams across the company to utilize and establish best practices
• Lead by example and produce high quality code that conforms client conventions
• Provide technical mentorship to engineers on the team by performing thorough code reviews, pairing, and ad hoc reviews of proposed solutions
• Deliver high quality work on tight schedules
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
• 8-12 years of professional software development experience
• 5+ years building applications deployed on AWS and the process to manage large data sets
• Demonstrated deep understanding of REST, services, monitoring, and the tenants of horizontal scalability
• Experience developing complex and highly available services running in a production environment
• Extensive knowledge of object oriented and functional software design patterns, including those commonly used by large scale search and recommendations engines
• Experience building media production platforms that encompass, ingest, edit, and deliver
• Knowledge of NoSQL data stores, indexing, distributed locking and media transformation
• Ability to translate user stories into technical tasks
• Ability to estimate effort effectively
• Strong communication, analytical and problem solving skills