Senior Editor, Abrams Press and The Overlook Press
ABRAMS is looking for Senior Editor, Abrams Press and The Overlook Press in New York, NY.
This local job opportunity with ID 699017129 is live since 2021-02-23 04:13:00.
The Senior Editor will be responsible for acquiring and editing books for the text (non-illustrated) adult imprints at Abrams, working with the editorial directors of Abrams Press and The Overlook Press to identify opportunities and appropriate titles for the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire adult fiction for Overlook in both literary and commercial fiction, including titles at the nexus of the two. Debuts, high-end genre fiction, and new works by established writers are all in the mix.
- Acquire narrative non-fiction for Abrams Press on subjects that might include popular culture, sports, science and nature, current events, memoir, and biography.
- Develop 12 to 15 titles per year to contribute to both imprints.
- Responsibility for concept, content, and author relationships for a diverse list of books including:
- Run profit and loss statements, present titles at Editorial Meetings and Pub Board, negotiating deal terms, and managing project budgets in line with approved acquisition terms.
- Manage new titles through all stages of the editing process; collaborate with managing editorial, design, and production teams on schedules, formats, design, and production of publications.
- Prepare sales materials including fact sheets, catalogue copy, metadata research, and presenting at seasonal launch meetings. Working closely with publicity and marketing staff on promotional plans for acquired titles.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least five to seven years’ experience in an editorial capacity at an adult trade publishing house. Candidates with similar editorial experience in other media will also be considered.
- Strong acquisitions experience, proven sales record, keen understanding of the marketplace, and innovative development skills in both fiction and non-fiction.
- Broad general knowledge of and passion for at some or all of the subject areas above, with established relationships with writers and agents and the ability to conceive and bring in viable projects.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Detail oriented, able to work on several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.