Employer (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. Employer offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit Employer for more information.
Taking it to another level connecting our customers to the Power of the Digital World! Are you willing to learn new technologies, provide friendly and knowledgeable solutions to our customers? Join our team as a Technician providing excellence in servicing the customer, selling our products and integrated communications services. What are the advantages to joining our dynamic technical team? Here are just a few - paid training, tuition assistance available, tools, test equipment and a company vehicle to perform your job. You will also have rapid progressive earning potential and advancement opportunities.
- Installs, maintains/repairs, and tests residential/small business telecommunication service (i.e. POTS, HSI and DSL).
- Analyzes and troubleshoots basic technical problems or issues.
- Reviews and discusses service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customers’ telecommunication needs and suggesting additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals, and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles. Using hand tools, power tools (air and electric), and specialty tools, including electric and electronic measuring devices (e.g., multi-meters, volt-ohm meters).
- Performs continuity and/or conformance testing.
- Reads and interprets customer service orders, repair tickets, technical (i.e., mechanical, electrical, digital) drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and performs specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications (through classes or on-the-job training), which includes: knowledge related to the basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC); knowledge of basic electrical components (e.g., conductors, insulators, switches, capacitors, inductors, transformers) and basic circuit design; and knowledge of the operation and application of common electrical components and common measurement instruments (e.g., multi-meters, oscilloscopes).
- Installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication services which may include POTS, DSL, and HSI.
- Ability and eagerness to engage and interact with both internal and external customers in an efficient and quality manner, in face to face or over the phone encounters.
- Ability to read, review, interprets and understands technical documents (e.g., schematics, drawings, blueprints, layouts).
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principals and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Ability to efficiently and accurately work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe (e.g., quality jobs per day), adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Ability to work well with others to achieve common goals and to foster a cooperative climate, as well as to work independently in the field with little supervision.
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Ability to work varying shifts and hours including possible mandatory overtime, weekends and holidays
PREFERRED Job Qualifications:
- At least 6 months (prefer 12 months) experience within the last five years installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service (POTS, HSI and DSL), including Design Services.
- At least 6 months of experience within the last five years with GPON/HSI/Access Line installation and repair.
- Ability to recognize and identify sales opportunities that meet the needs of customers and the company, including promoting and closing sales of products and services.
- Prior experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system and with Microsoft Outlook.
- Working knowledge of applicable test equipment
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations (e.g., from ladders, poles, climbers and lift trucks) exceeding 18 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (e.g., attics, crawl spaces, utility holes).
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to: lifting objects weighing over 50-75 pounds.
- Ability to perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (e.g., extreme cold and/or heat, inclement weather).
Other Job Requirements:
- Internal Candidates must meet Time in Title/Location requirements of their current position for consideration.
- Selected candidate is required to remain in the position for a minimum of 30 months (Time in Title) and 18 months (Time in Location).
Alternate Location: US-Wyoming-Casper
Requisition #: 143826
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at Employer style="color:black">
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.