This Telecommunications Technician position supports the US Army Corps of Engineers ACE-IT Program.
Under general supervision, operates and manages VoIP/PBX/telecommunications systems and associated hardware, to include overhead paging, voicemail, and other peripheral systems.
Ensures that adequate and appropriate planning is provided for remote hardware and communications facilities to develop and implement methodologies for analysis, installation and support of voice communications systems.
Provides coordination in the analysis, acquisition and installation of remote hardware and software.
Interfaces with internal/external customers and vendors to determine system needs.
Monitors and responds to complex technical control facility hardware and software problems.
Interfaces with vendor support service groups to ensure proper escalation during outages or periods of degraded system performance.
Verifies service by testing circuits, equipment, and alarms, as well as identifying, correcting, or escalating problems.
Installs, repairs, splices, tests, and terminates various forms of telecommunications and electrical wiring and cabling (e.g. copper, fiber, coax, etc.) to ensure proper impedance matching and connections between various pieces of electronic equipment.
Schedules and/or coordinates services (e.g. repairs, installations, removal of equipment, preventative maintenance, etc.).
Writes alignment procedures, recommended test methods, and general equipment documentation packets for telecommunications equipment to support proper system level setting and equipment operation.
Documents network by labeling and routing equipment and cables.
Records configuration diagrams and specifications.
Bachelors degree from an accredited college in a related discipline, OR equivalent experience/combined education, with 2 years of professional experience; or no experience required with a related Masters degree.
Current DoD 8570 IA Baseline Certification, IAT Level I (A+ CE, Network+ CE, SSCP, CCNA-Security).
Must obtain appropriate DoD 8570 IA Computing Environment Certification within 6 months of employment.
Interim Secret Clearance required prior to start.
Experience should be in the following:
• Facilitating orders for telecommunication circuits
• Facilitating orders for desk
• Fulfilling mobile phone orders including new installations and feature changes
• Managing phones at the customer’s three field offices
• Working issues with phone carriers (for desk phones and conference phones)
• Managing backend phone systems at regional offices until VoIP is deployed
• Enforcing policy to retrieve unused phones, setting up on‐demand conference call dial in numbers
* Experience supporting Nortel, Comdial, Inter-Tel, AVAYA or Panasonic phone systems.
* Experience providing support for Cisco VOIP devices.
* Experience using Remedy or a similar ticketing system
* Strong analytical and follow through skills.
* Strong verbal and written communications skills.
* Ability to coordinate and get cooperation from multiple areas within IT to accomplish assignments.
* Ability to work well independently on defined tasks.
* Ability to work well as part of a team.