Senior Backend Engineer (Scala)
Our ideal candidate has strong experience with Scala and writing stable, scalable backend services. Bonus points for experience with additional backend languages such as OCaml, Haskell, Go, C++ (with preference towards functional languages). Candidate should also have experience leading a team of engineers.
. You are actively engaged in software development communities, Open Source projects or projects of your own; where coding in collaboration with other engineers is a necessity. The principles of Agile development, coding standards, unit testing, documentation and communication are second nature. You’ll be successful if you are able to look at existing code, which isn’t always pretty, and say – I love a challenge and I know how to turn that into something beautiful. You follow design patterns that lead others to more elegant solutions.
• Develop efficient web services and APIs.
• Participate in daily code deploys while working on individual or team projects.
• Take ideas and concepts from the business and turn them into tangible components of the site.
• Participate in thorough code reviews with a goal of illustrating quality engineering practices and to produce the highest quality code possible.
Skills / Experience
• Strong software engineering fundamentals. Interested in Scala not because it's the 'hot new thing' but because its type safety and functional nature enables stable growth and beautiful code.
• Experience using PostgresSQL
• Experience working with large data sets (data mining, data analytics, data manipulation and reporting)
• Knowledge/experience with Agile software methodology
• Experience working with a production environment with zero or very minimal downtime